Treading a path less travelled

KarmaWangchuk-Loknath Sharma-BEcomingofMonks. Their callings in life are different, they have realised. The full realisation dawned upon them when they were on the brink of a dream, they had harboured since adolescence.

Loknath Sharma, 24, always wanted to be a teacher while Karma Wangchuk, 26, wanted to be an engineer, or so they thought.

They got into Kanglung College and continued to work towards their goal.

Eventually, Loknath graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in English-Dzongkha combination and Karma Wangchuk with a Bachelors Degree in Science in June, this year.

However, amidst tremendous objections from parents and relatives, the two decided to become monks.

But, even without their knowing, both Karma and Loknath were always drawn to spirituality.

The window for opportunity to explore spirituality opened up for them in the form of ‘Religious Discourse’, the Kanglung Shedra organises, for the students of Sherubtse College once a week.

“Even if I become a teacher, I don’t think I will be able to serve my parents. I thought, if I become a monk, I would be able to help my parents, through my prayers, not only in this life but also the next,” said Loknath.

Karma Wangchuk, on the other hand, believes materialism has no essence. “We could have everything and still not be happy,” he said.

The two friends share their knowledge with their fellow monks in the Shedra by teaching English. With a degree certificate in their hand and red robes on, they wish to spread Buddhism around the world in the future.

Top Stories

Related Stories

7 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube