People of Pema Gatshel want gynecology unit reinstated

gynecology services-Pema GatshelThe people of Pema Gatshel want the gynecology services in the Dzongkhag’s hospital reinstated. The unit was done away with in February.

The only gynecologist of Pema Gatshel district hospital was transferred to Phuentshogling hospital. The rest, working in the unit, were transferred to Samdrup Jongkhar hospital.

The issue was also raised at the recent Dzongkhag Tshogdu.

“I am sure the government must have established the gynecology unit after studying the problems and the needs of the women in the dzongkhag,” said the Shumar Gup, Lepo. He said withdrawing the service and taking it elsewhere appears to have been prompted by vested interests.

Zobel Gup, Pema Dorji, said pregnant women in their vicinity are facing problem without a gynecologist. “They are being referred to Monggar hospital, which is very far from here.”

The local leaders are hoping that the government would send a replacement soon. “Having a gynecologist here not only benefits Pema Gatshel Dzongkhag but also Wamrong and Thrimshing dungkhag in Trashigang,” said Chongshing Gup, Pema Dorji.

The Dzongkhag Health officer, Gopal Hingmang, said the decision was taken without consulting with the Dzongkhag. He said that it is a set back after spending time and resources in putting up the unit in the first place. “…The study carried out by the Ministry, after the commission of the unit, shows delivery cases are far more in Pema Gatshel than Samdrup Jongkhar.”

The Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Kezang Dorji, also agrees that the hospital is facing problem now without a gynecologist. “If it is serious case, I refer the patients to Trashigang and Monggar hospital.” He said there is no Gynecologist in Deothang hospital. “I have no option but to refer the patients to other dzongkhags which is far away from Pema Gatshel.”

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube