Outbreak of foot and mouth disease under control

Outbreak of foot and mouth disease under control-BumthangThe highly contagious foot and mouth disease outbreak in Bumthang is now under control, say the Dzongkhag’s veterinary officials. Most of the 25 cases reported over the past month have been treated.

Peday from Nangsiphel is among the farmers whose cattle have been infected. “I was told that Jaggery helps, so I gave it to my cows but it did not work. I then applied honey and I think it is working.”

She said the milk production declined drastically after her cattle were infected.

The first case of foot and mouth disease in Bumthang was reported from Chamkhar village on February 25.

The disease had later spread to Jakar, Dekiling and Nagsiphel areas.

There are still some cases being reported from Dekiling and Tamshing areas.

“We are continuing with vaccination. We have also been advising the farmers to keep the infected cattle isolated to prevent the spread of the disease,” said Bumthang’s Veterinary Officer, Pelden Wangchuk.

Pelden Wangchuk said once infected, the animals cannot be vaccinated. The animals are given antibiotic injection, which helps ease the pain. He added home remedy such as applying jaggery and honey also helps.

The last outbreak of foot and mouth disease in Bumthang was reported about 10 years ago.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube