Farmers try exporting soft brooms

SoftBroom-Gakidling Gewog-SarpangFor the first time, farmers of Gakiling Gewog in Sarpang are exporting soft brooms to India. Nearly 3000 brooms worth about Nu. 70,000 was taken yesterday.

A few farmers in Sangkha village under Gakiling Gewog have been growing soft brooms and selling it at the Sarpang market in the past. But beginning last year, the gewog forestry office with assistance from the rural livelihood project brought the farmers together to form a group and market the product collectively.

About 11 acres of land were used for growing the broom. The product was exported to India yesterday.

“When we sell the broom in the market, we fetch a better price. Today, since there is only one buyer so we got a little less. In the market, we charge Nu. 35 per broom but today we got only Nu. 28,” said Chimi, a group member.

[media id=735 width=320 height=260]

Another group member, Lhakpa Sherpa, said it has become easier as the group does the marketing. “It’s a good thing that we don’t have to take it to the market.”

Growing broom has a lot of benefits, the villagers say. The leaves of the plant can be fed to the cattle and at the same time earn some cash by selling the brooms. “I have plans to further expand,” said Lhakpa.

Fifty three year old Lhakpa Sherpeni is one of the group members. She has been growing and selling broom for the last 20 years. She said until now, she had to take the brooms on horseback and walk for about three hours to reach the market. Now, she says it is convenient with the vehicle coming to their doorsteps.

“When I first sold broom, I used to get Nu. 7 per broom. Now I get Nu. 35. I am hoping to continue growing broom,” she added.

Planting broom has a lot of benefits, according to the forestry officials. It can be grown in an uncultivable land and prevents soil erosion in the area. It has to be planted only once.

Top Stories

Related Stories

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube