Fantasies sometimes more rewarding than reality: Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche

Vara- A BlessingThe director of the famous films: The Cup and Travellers and Magicians, has once again created magic on screen. Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche says his new film in English, Vara: A Blessing, is inspired by a Bengali short story, Rakta Aar Kanna, meaning blood and tears, written by the Bengali writer Sunil Gangopadhyay.

Vara-A Blessing premiered in the capital on Sunday. The director of the 93-minute film, Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche, shares that this film highlights the strength of women and also the strength of belief.

“I actually have always been admired the Bengali writers, Bengali films of course…So I read Sunil Gangopadhyay’s books and somehow in order to translate that Bharatnatyam more of that amazing, profound, deep traditional dances, I made it as correct story and I thought short story written by Sunil Gangopadhyay will be good to based on.”vara_a_blessing,

While describing Vara, Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche adds that fantasies are, sometimes, more rewarding than reality. He shares that this film was stepping beyond his comfort zone.

“I really wanted to get out of my usual zones so to speak. I really wanted to experiment, evolve on artist…This time I have crew consisting of non-Buddhists, none my students.  Usually Buddhists and students always end up obeying and do whatever I say.”

But, Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche does not rule out working with Bhutanese artists in the future. In Vara, the protagonist is Shahana Goswami who is well-known for her roles in a number of successful Indian films. She starred in the British-Canadian film, Midnight’s Children.

Shahana Goswami said the day I was to meet him, she wasn’t sure if she was still doing the film. “But the minute I met him in person, I instantly knew I wanted to get inside the head. But it has been a really special film for me as an actor.” She said she has found a different side of herself as an actor through the film.

Vara: A Blessing, will be screened at the city cinema hall this weekend. Proceeds from the sale of tickets will be given to rehabilitation centres for drugs and alcohol dependents.

Top Stories

Related Stories

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube