Labour agents disappointed

LabourAgent-Foreign Workers' Recruitment AgentsThe Ministry of Labour and Human Resources last week issued a circular stating that contractors could now bring in foreign workers themselves. Earlier, foreign workers had to route through Foreign Workers’ Recruitment Agents. This decision has left many agents disappointed. They say it will affect their businesses.

The circular was issued on January 6, this year. It stated that from the February 1, recruitment of all eight categories of foreign workers will not have to be routed through Foreign Workers’ Recruitment Agents. The eight categories are concrete worker, carpenter, mason, electrician, plumber, unskilled worker, rod binder and mine worker.

It also says, employers or contractors can now bring in the foreign workers by themselves. They can also do it by using an online system of the ministry.

In Phuentshogling, the agents met to discuss the matter. They say some of them are already on the verge of closing down their business.

“We depend on this business for our livelihood. And I have my employees, who have completed class 10 and 12, working with me for many years now. Where do I send them now? The government stresses on youth employment but then, today, those employed here are on the verge of losing their jobs. I hope the government will reconsider the decision,” says Namgay, an agent.

Another agent, Lam Sangay says, there are about a 100 agents and each of them has at least three employees.

“So in total, there are about 500 people employed in the business. And this circular has put all these people’s jobs at stake,” he adds.

According to the agents, they have established their offices as per the regulations set forth by the labour ministry and that huge expenses have been incurred in setting up their offices.

A labour official have been quoted saying in one of the local newspapers that the decision was taken based on the feedback, public opinion and complaints received from employees about poor service delivery by recruitment agents.

But the agents say there are few who have violated the regulations and it is not fair for all agents to suffer. “We were not consulted before the decision was finalised,” says one of the agents.

Meanwhile, to save their business, the recruitment agents across the Country plans to meet this week to discuss on the issue before they approach the ministry.

Top Stories

Related Stories

3 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube