OL, the new DPT president

OL-the new DPT presidentThe Opposition Leader Dr. Pema Gyamtsho was elected as the new Druk Phuensum Tshogpa’s Party President, yesterday. He was elected as the new party president after the former Prime Minister and Party president, Jigmi Y.Thinley resigned officially.

Dr. Pema Gyamtsho secured 50 yes votes out of 51 votes cast.

The new party president said his new role comes along with a bigger responsibility. “Opposition is not just for the sake of opposition. We have a very important role and have to be cautious. One wrong policy or law can ruin the whole country.”

The outgoing president, Jigmi Y. Thinley, it is not ideal for one person to head the party for life-long. He said it will be good for the Party to have a President who is a serving member of the parliament.

[pullquote]

…I have served the country in the best of my abilities. I have exhausted all my abilities. What we now need is new ideas and people with new talents.”

Jigmi Y.Thinley,
Former Prime Minister

[/pullquote]

“…We had enough of old decision makers with old ideas. If democracy in Bhutan is to grow and change for better, the party leaders will have to be changed,” said Jigmi Y.Thinley. He also said, even though he is resigning, his allegiance to the party will always remain the same.

Meanwhile, the executive members of the party also elected three new vice presidents. The National Assembly Representative of Pangbang, Dorji Wangdi, was elected as the vice president for Party Affairs.  The Dramedtse-Ngatshang MP, Ugyen Wangdi, will be looking after the Parliamentary Affairs. The North Thimphu MP, Kinga Tshering, was elected as the vice president for Economic Development Affairs.

Top Stories

Related Stories

8 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube