English | Dzongkha Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Cooling period- skills at rest

Oct 26, 2013

CoolingPeriod According to the Bhutan Civil Service Rules and Regulations 2012, the minimum three years “Cooling off Period” is required for former politicians, including members or party workers, for employment in civil service.

The cooling period begins only after they have de-register from the party. This year’s election saw about 27 civil servants resigning to join politics.

Get the Flash Player to see the wordTube Media Player.

Many say, three years’ Cooling period is it too long, and many of the former politicians lose career opportunities in the civil service.

Bhutan Kuen-Nyam Party’s Tshewang Tashi, Druk Nyamrup Tshogpa’s Nima Tshering and Namgay R Dorji from Druk Chirwang Tshogpa share their views during our News Hour yesterday.

6 Comments for “Cooling period- skills at rest”

1. Tashi Dorji

Using balanced approach as Dasho. Nima said, in order to prevent politicizing of civil servant (because those defeated candidates of the parties) which will have impact on the result of next round of election. And if there is nothing so called cooling period is there, then who will not want to enter into politics. Although to move towards vibrant and firm-rooted democracy there should be a need of as many parties and participation as possible,chances of politics getting colored and becoming dirty is one of the risk attach with repealing cooling period provision in entirety. On the contrary, if cooling period is to keep so long as is at present, then there will be dearth of candidate participating into politics. Those highly capable, eligible and experienced candidates will continue holding office chair as it provides kind of sustainability and long term benefits.

Thus balanced and harmonious approach should come into picture; meaning period should be reduced to reasonable period which will have mitigate total harm to both candidates and the Nation. Deliberations, discussions from the ground levels to higher level and reduction of period of cooling period should be taken into high consideration.

2. Guest

Three year is too less, the minimum cooling period in fact should be 5 years. Most people who join politics are cunning people hungry for fame and power and even after their loss, they would still influence the politics of our country. For example, some of the speaker here are always active in social media writing nonsense about their party. Cooling period is must otherwise politics will become more dirty.

3. Dorji

DCT could have sent someone with better knowledge on the rules and regulations of the state and not someone who is as bad as NAMGAY R. DORJI for a panel discussion on National Television. This interview to me, has just indicated the fact that for DCT nothing matters now and that they don’t take anything seriously. I say this because of the following:

1. Namgay R. Dorji was never a civil servant to comment on issues pertaining the civil servants.
    2. His knowledge on the issue was literally NIL
    3. His english is an embarrassment
    So i would like to first suggest DCT people to take the national media seriously.

4. dddddddd

After resigning from civil servant only joining political party but why to joint civil servant again and i think cooling period three year is okay as my view la

5. jigsssssssssssssssss

other civil servants once they are resigned is not given second entry int he civil servant…but why the Election commission and RCSC here is discussing about the cooling period? they are as good as other civil servant and should not give entry to the civil service for another chance, cooling period must be even more than 3 years and have to increase but not decrease

6. yONTEN

I think cooling period is too long. It is rather a heating period. Politician are not criminals. They resigned with a good intent. SO, I am not in favor of 3 years cooling period. I would rather prefer it to be 1 year of time.

Leave a Reply

eight + 8 =

Copyright © 2017 BBSC.