Popular hot spring decaying in negligence

DungmangTsachuDunmang Tshachu is one of the most popular hot springs in Bhutan. People from all over the country frequent it. Despite its popularity, the hot spring does not really have the best of amenities.

The Tshachu is located on the left bank of the Mangdechhu and is about a two hour downhill walk from the nearest road-head. It has five pools with temperatures varying from 42 to 58 degree Celsius.

Tshewang Namgay, 70, is the first one to visit the hot spring this year. This is Tshewang Namgay’s fourth visit to the hot spring.

“I first came here when I about 40 years old, after I heard about its benefits,” said Tshewang Namgay. The hot spring is known to cure gastritis, ulcer, sinusitis, joint pain, backache, and even skin diseases.

[media id=590 width=320 height=260]

However, he said, there amenities the hot spring offers is not as good as he would have liked. There is the need for an additional guest house, toilets, and drinking water supply.

Additional guest house has to be constructed as the existing one can accommodate only a few people. The one storied guest house has four rooms and two kitchens.

During the peak season, visitors pitch their own tents nearby. Visits to the hot spring peak only in winter. The spring is hardly used at other times of the year.

Also, with just one toilet, sanitation is a concern when a lot of people gather. The caretaker said the guest house has not been renovated since 1997. “I have notified the dzongkhag administration but they said there is no budget. There is water leaking from the pool because the planks are rotting. The toilet and garbage pit also needs to be renovated.”

Top Stories

Related Stories

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube