Nyagay Dendhur draws huge crowd

Nyagay-Dendhur.The ongoing “Nyagay Dendhur” or the Strongest Man Competition is not only drawing huge crowds, but is also attracting contenders from the furthest corners.

Pema Khandu, 27, a cow herder from Kheng Silambi heard of the NyagayDenchur just a day before the competition. Pema walked a whole day and night to reach Monggar town.

Pema definitely performed an extraordinary feat. He reached Monggar town within 24 hours. Monggar town is officially a five-day walk from Silambi. “I finished two pairs of torch batteries walking an entire night,” he said.

He started his journey towards afternoon. “By the time I reached the mountains, it was getting dark but I continued to walk. I rested a little and continued my journey and reached Monggar in the morning.”

[media id=579 width=320 height=260]

Pema, did not win the strongest man’s title. He placed second.  He admits that he did not perform well as he had been completely exhausted at the end of his journey.

The title Monggar’s strongest man went to Ugyen Dorji, 31, from Tsakaling. Ugyen Dorji has broken the records of the 10 Dzongkhags that have had the NyagayDendhur. He completed his tasks in four minutes and 29 seconds.

The Nyagay Dendhur in Monggar took on an air of festivity as it attracted hundreds of locals, some even dressed in all their finery. Monggar’s strongest man has broken previous records, now the cheering Monggar crowd must wait and see if he will emerge as Bhutan’s strongest man.

Top Stories

Related Stories

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube