PHPA’s remedial measures only after investigations

PHPA-DamsiteThe remedial measures at the sinking area of Punatsanchhu Hydroelectric Project-I dam site will be carried out after all the investigations are over.  The project management says the remedial measures will cost an additional of Nu.3.5 billion. The 1,200 MW PHPA-I which was expected to be commissioned in November 2016 will now be delayed by one year.

The Punatsangchhu Hydroelectric Project-I will now cost more than the revised estimate of Nu.94 billion as the delay and additional cost incurred by the sinking slope at the right site of river bank which is near the highway will add up.

The construction of dam is critical for the completion of the Punatsangchhu-I project. The Managing Director of PHPA, R N Khazanchi, said that the dam, which will be about 70 metres deep, will be unique because of the bedrock at the deepest level.

He said that till July, this year the works on the project site was progressing well.  The excavations works on the left bank, which the Managing Director, said which was supposed to be critical, went well. The entire project is on the left side.

[media id=578 width=320 height=260]

However, while carrying out the excavations work on the right bank which is near the highway; the right side of the dam started to move bringing works on the dam construction to a halt.

From July this year, the movement of the slope became alarmingly high, which also lead to about 150 metres of highway to slide four meters deep. The highway was near the right side of the river bank.  The Managing Director said that it was a great concern for the project. The investigations on the matter with a team consultants and experts began.

A team of experts will be visiting again by October 18 to assess the 2nd set of the investigations which is underway. The PHPA-I came with some remedial measures, which will cost the project an additional Nu 3.5 billion.

The Project management said that carrying out the remedial measures will be a herculean task. The work on the right bank will resume only after they are able to hold the slope and prevent it from sinking further.

The Punatsangchhu Hydroelectric Project commenced in November 2008.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube