Lack of proper infrastructure plagues Pantang school

Pantang-Primary-School.Pantang Primary School under Phangkhar Gewog in Zhemgang was established more than three decades ago, but it still lacks proper infrastructure.

The existing structures, which include the hostel and toilets, are in urgent need of renovation. About 34 girls and 23 boys are live in the hostel boarding facility.

Even teachers, in the absence of proper housing facilities, live in huts. They say the summer heat and winter cold make their living difficult.

[media id=575 width=320 height=260]

“In my four years stay, I have built my house four times,” said a teacher, Cheten Norbu. He says the area he lives in is snake prone area. Insects, Cheten said, are another problem. “Because of these inconvenience, I cannot bring my family to live with me.”

There were plans to upgrade the school to a middle secondary school in the 10th Five Year Plan, but that fell through due to a decline in the number of students.

But there are plans for infrastructure development in spite of the failure to upgrade. The Principal of the School, Sonam Dorji, shares that the 11th Five Year Plan will provide for an academic block, staff quarters, and major renovation work. “Major renovation of dining hall is also coming up, the renovation of boys’ hostel and constructions of girls’ hostel along with construction of toilets as per the students’ ratio are also in the plan.”

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube