Dagana’s mounting waste problem

WasteProblem-DaganaDagana town is known for its greenery and has often been publicised as having an unspoiled environment. But today, the town is troubled by improper dumping of wastes.

Most of the residents said, the district municipal office was inefficient, as they empty the waste pit only once a month. The garbage pit, according to our reporter Yeshi Nidup, is located on the way where students of Daga lower secondary walk to school and back home every day.

“This is not good for their health and hygiene. Some of the students even enter the garbage pit and play there,” said Yeshey Gyeltshen, a Teacher, Daga LSS, Dagana.

One of the parents said; “I often drop and pick my child from school, and every time I pass this pit, it is always full and littered.

“I even saw cattle feeding on them. Some stray dogs have also died inside the pit, giving a foul smell,” said Thinley.

The Dagana Dzongda, Tenzin Thinley, said it could be increasing population that was causing waste problem. He added that there was a need for an additional garbage truck. “We have only one tractor used as a garbage truck, and for its maintenance or even to fix a tyre, we have to take it all the way to Dagapela, which is more than 40 kilometres from here. Even for fuel we have to go there,” said the Dzongdag.

Meanwhile, the district administration agreed that they were also be blamed for their inefficient service.

Top Stories

Related Stories

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube