His Majesty grants Amnesty to 28 inmates

HM--Amnesty.His Majesty the King granted Amnesty to 28 Inmates from different prisons in the country.

Pema Samdrup, 68, was convicted for attempted murder. The pardon is like a second lease on life. He will be reunited with his families today. “This is overwhelming. I shall remain indebted to His Majesty the King. This will renew the hope and I think I can start all over again with my families. I wanted to go home,” he said, on the verge of tears.

Similarly, Kinzang Namgyel, a father of three, was imprisoned for embezzlement. He says he wants to make-up to their children who have been without a father for 13 years. “I want them to pursue higher education, that is my priority right now.” He said he is thinking of starting a small business.

Like Pema and Kinzang, the 26 others, who were granted Amnesty, have promised to start anew.

Coinciding one of the auspicious occasions today, His Majesty also approved Open Air Prison.  About 121 inmates of Chamgang, jail left for work in Lhakhangs and Goenpas in Paro and Haa, today.

The first phase of Open Air Prison was started in March this year with 30 inmates. They were sent to work in Euto Goenpa in Paro.

[media id=491 width=320 height=260]

From the progress the first phase showed, in terms of socio-economic benefits to the inmates and their families, the second phase was flagged off soon.

Inmates, who have served at least 75 percent of their sentences and showed a good track record while in prison, become eligible for the Program. They will spent the rest, 25 percent of their sentences contributing labour in Lhakhangs and Goenpas. They are also entitled for a daily wage.

With the launch of today’s phase, the Chamgang Central Prison will see an institution of Remission System, which the Chief of Police said is giving second chance to inmates to reform.

The Chief of Police, Brigadier Kipchu Namgyel, said the project under the Remission, which is intended for a good conduct, would inculcate mannerism among inmates because of the benefits. “It encourages prisoners to be good again and for instance because of such system here, there will be less case of absconding as compared to earlier years,”

Brigadier Kiphu also said the attitude of entire prisoners have totally changed since the introduction of the system. “There is a hope in this Remission System for them.”

Top Stories

Related Stories

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube