A boon and curse

Gongdue-Farmroad.The farm roads have benefitted many people in the rural pockets of the country. But a gewog called Gongdue in Monggar has a different story. The people of the gewog are living in constant fear of being buried under landslides.

The Nganglam-Yangbari-Taksa farm road, which was constructed a year ago, falls directly above their gewog. The construction has loosened the soil, which in turn, has become vulnerable to monsoon rain.

Even time it rains; at least two houses in the gewog are flooded. Sonam Zangmo, a mother of five, says there has damages to her properties due of landslide. Apart from her properties, she has lost her maize field to the landslide. “I have only small patch of land in my name. I wouldn’t be able to shift even if I wanted to.”

[media id=487 width=320 height=260]

After her house sustained considerable damage from the landslide, she has built a temporary shed with the support from the gewog and her relatives.

Gongdue’s Mangmi, Nidup Gyeltshen, said future disaster could be averted if they could construct proper drainage system. “Even though the road has benefited a lot of people in our gewog, there are a few who have been affected as much.”

Gongdue has about 380 households.  It is one of the most remote gewog and least developed under Monggar Dzongkhag.

Top Stories

Related Stories

6 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube