English | Dzongkha Thursday, October 19, 2017

Gyalpoizhing town representative accused of spreading snails

Pema Tshoki, Thimphu & Kuenga Tashi, Monggar
May 26, 2013

GaintAfricanLandSnail--GALSThe town representative of Gyalpoizhing in Monggar, Gembo, is being accused of spreading Giant African Land Snails to Lingmithang and Threthangbi. After the outbreaks of snails in Gyalpoizhing this summer, people from nearby places, said that the town representative is not doing enough to control snail population in his town.

“I am being accused unnecessarily. I am not responsible. The population is growing on its own and spreading,” said Gembo.

The Giant African Land Snail first appeared in Gyalpoizhing under Monggar Dzongkhag in 2006. Since then, it has gradually increased in numbers. Half of what people grow in the town are lost to these snails, which are listed among 100 most invasive species in the world.

The invasive creature increased drastically in numbers in 2008. The people of Gyalpoizhing are trying to save their fields and gardens by collecting the snails and dumping it in pits. “They eat everything. We have no option but to dump them in pits,” said Thinley Dorji, a resident.

The Monggar administration tried to export the snails to other countries but later found out that the snails are inedible.

Get the Flash Player to see the wordTube Media Player.

Gembo says if the collect all the snails in the town, it may come up to over 200 truckloads.

Meanwhile, people are expecting the government to come to their rescue. “We will starve otherwise,” said one of the residents.

The Department of Agriculture is urging people to refrain from transporting snails to other parts of the country. They say it can adapt to wide range of climatic conditions.

The Chief Agriculture Officer, Chimmi Rinzin, said people collecting the shells of the snails for religious purpose has come to their notice.

“The snails’ shells have both clock and anti-clock wise pattern and in our religion certain pattern is considered to have religiously significant.” He said what farmers need to realise is that it is not advisable to collect the shells and take it to other areas as the Giant African Land Snails are said to multiply fast.

He added, apart from the negative impact on environment impact, it also possesses risk to human health, if the population is not controlled.

“The only option is to manually collect and destroyed it and this has to continue for several years till the outbreak is controlled.”

Besides physical removal, the department of agriculture will focus on strengthening surveillance and also organise national level sensitization workshop.

21 Comments for “Gyalpoizhing town representative accused of spreading snails”

1. Gnh

Dpt must ve done this, i am sure. Tey can go to any extend to take revenge on gyelpozhing people.

• lhajigs

those people are turned paranoid of the guilt act and eyewash act of PDP bullshit leader…by giving back the Prado,infact after that issue, people started commenting bad on DPT and defaming on the natural calamities too….i believe those giant snails multiplied because of he favourable climate too…but pocking nose against DPT is the cruel act and need justification.
      though i am not supporting any party, i speak the truth and i am just a loyal bhutanese living hand to mouth, i dont expect much from democracy like other people, i buy my own rations and i dont expect DPT or PDP to replace it, i refuel my car myself, i do recharge myself…i am happy they did worked…to be frank i am from very remote village, have to walk 5 days from mongar, but they did no change..still i am happy, they did many changes in other parts…where as above comentators are really a paranoid and expecting everything from the DPT leaders and after all they may expect to replace even the teeth in their mouth….please wake up and give the fair judgement….

2. Gnh

I think dpt must ve done this to get back on gyelposhing people, they r goonda party, can do anything

• dodo

could be punishment from the heaven above for punishing innocent DPT members.You too will face same consequences for defaming DPT.DPT had done their best but they are always defamed for the good job done.Remember “YESHI GI DHA CHAP SA ME THONG PHO SA THUNG”.All the best DPT party.TRUTH will always win at the end.

3. lhajigs

it is good if tehre is some spray to control its population….the repot is said to be very serious if its so sure that it will come into several trucks load….

4. Sanja

Apparently this is a problem elsewhere as well & should be a source of great concern. I hope we can educate our people fast enough & find ways to control or eradicate. Florida seem to be battling this as well – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2309033/Florida-battles-Giant-African-land-snail-infestation-100-000-state.html

5. politic Review

The Giant African Land Snail appeared in Gyalpoizhing under Monggar.
    appeared because they came to cast vote to good party 2013.Its shows Bhutanese citizen should participate in electing good leader from parties exist.

6. lhajigs

how those bloody commentator pint the population of snails raised due to DPT? its a shit and it was there so long i was a student there in mongar long back in 90s….i am assure the population was countless times risen, but its not the act of DPT and they didn’t feed those giant snails to Gyelpozhing….why can’t those people commenting here is not giving fair judgement? people should think thousand times when flying thoughts in delusion…its really a paranoid way and people of bhutan are injected the paranoid disease by those anti bhutanese people who is shitting on the plate they eat…literally, we all know its democracy and every one has right to freedom of expressions, but also when the rights are bestowed, there is responsibility that some one need to hold their tongue and express their truth…rather than fack and shitty words…
    if some one is hurt with my statement, those pple are heartless and confused of expecting great things from democracy….

• Get no happiness

I am a vampire. U moron, big, thick head dpt fool. U r a sucker of bhutanese brothers blood. U r dpt tail n their sweeper cleaning their shits. Better clean their underwear too.

• lhajigs

u better mid your tongue bro…and keep your coffin ready, you are yet to die of BP and heart attack when DPT come into power…u being bhutanese and blaming ur country has blood of anti bhutanese, i have a challenge fpr you that you are a much expectant from democracy ad i guarantee u have a dark future with your polluted attitude….i never mind speaking the truth…i just said i dont support any party…i am happy here in Mexico…owns a very small job which feeds e, my family and my relatives enpugh…i am not sent by DPT abroad, but came long way myself…haha, u fool have a half dead brain and not functioning adequately la…visit Ability Bhutan, which is only clinic in Bhutan….

• bhutjolokia

cannot find the village mexiko
          five days walk from mongar.
          need a better map of bhutan.
          jigs, take it easy, la.

I dn kno who hs done dis bt i jst wanna say dat in dis article it is clearly written dat the snails first appeared in 2006….How come u saw these things in da 90`s… n ppl plz lets nt take dis politically…..mite b due to some natural calamities……..

• Sarang

Whats the proof that DPT didnot do it.

7. rohngf

former dzongdags have done for good faith and they did not gain anything but ACC and some people unnecessarily made issue out of it and even court punished them in the name of procedural lapses, so, this must be coz of not upholding our values, tha damtse and lay jum dre…even god might not been happy with the verdict as their intention was very good….

8. khaloo

see the attitude of people, always blaming to DPT. Fortunately people could not blame DPT with regard to army worms. Thank God

9. Get No Happiness (GNH)

Thank you all for your quick n strong opposing reactions. It would be nice for the country if you all do the same for corrupt people. Easy to say “no” to nobody like me but can u say “no” to shark. Be the change n not be the wind, dont go where the wind takes u n u flow with it, one day u will land up in somalia typhoon. I respect Druk Phentsha Tshogpa, where all relatives, cousins live together.

I have nothing against it, i respect, all leaders, what i dont like is their attitude towards power n democracy.

• kamrup

Sure. WE know and we say old is gold. DPT have to be rulling and Namrup must be opposition with 75% vs 25% vote by people of 20 dzongkhags.

10. ataa kinley

people who leave comment are really inhuman,no common sense, no intuition, and no sense of self judgement. how shall the outbreak of giant snail be related to DPT or else other administrative body???? just think are the comments justifiable…
    please be responsible and indeed respect the forum conferred to us to give our words…see ur tongues…
    i know what problem has these giant snail got to give to the residents of Gyelposhing coz i was student there. i have sincerely participated in the cleaning campaigns, collected numerous truck loads of snail and dumped. i hope the people are soon educated on this and measures are taken so to save our people there…….

11. lhajigs

those people are turned paranoid of the guilt act and eyewash act of PDP bullshit leader…by giving back the Prado,infact after that issue, people started commenting bad on DPT and defaming on the natural calamities too….i believe those giant snails multiplied because of he favourable climate too…but pocking nose against DPT is the cruel act and need justification.

though i am not supporting any party, i speak the truth and i am just a loyal bhutanese living hand to mouth, i dont expect much from democracy like other people, i buy my own rations and i dont expect DPT or PDP to replace it, i refuel my care myself, i do recharge myself…i am happy they did worked…to be frank i am from very remote village, have to walk 5 days from mongar, but they did no change..still i am happy, they did many changes in other parts…where as above comentators are really a paranoid and expecting everything from the DPT leaders and after all they may expect to replace even the teeth in their mouth….please wake up and give the fair judgement….

12. Ugyen

Come on Guys! there is nothing to do with two party nor anything to do with democracy. Don’t make issues, rather give your suggestion and idea to get rid of those snails which would be helpful to those innocent people.

Leave a Reply to ......

three × = 15

Copyright © 2017 BBSC.