Crying need to restore age-old monument of Tsirangtoe

RestorationNeeded-tsirangShrouded in mystery, but considered the only historical and cultural site in Tsirang district, an age-old fortress in Tsirangtoe, is in a dire need for a restoration. Decaying walls covered in moss, ferns and trees fighting for space on the ruins are what little remains of the monument.

People of Tsirangtoe fear the significant monument may be lost to history and negligence. Numerous times, the people have put the issue forward for discussions during Dzongkhag Tshogdus, but nothing fruitful have come forth from the discussions, they say.

[pullquote]

When I was about eight, my parents used to take me up to the fortress. They used to tell me, ‘let us visit the king’s palace.’ I turned 81 this year.

Chandra Bahadur
Farmer,
Tsirangtoe

[/pullquote]

Tsirangtoe’s gup, Nar Bahadur Rai, said they have put up many requests and sent many letters apprising the government about the need and importance to restore the fortress to its former glory. “We haven’t got any response. I wish something could be done,” he said.

There are no written evidences as to whom the fortress belongs to and when it was built.

Geney Lham, 77, says even her grandparents did not know who built the fortress. “The place has changed so much. When I was young, it looked different but now it has turned into forest.”

[media id=449 width=320 height=260]

But many say believe it belonged to Sangsup (land caretaker) under whose jurisdiction was Tsirangtoe. They say the name ‘Tsirang’ is derived from the Sangsup’s immaculate accountant or Tsirab.

Meanwhile, the district administration of Tsirang has put forward the issue to the Ministry of Home and Cultural Affairs and is awaiting response. The Dzongkhag Administration Officer, Tshewang Jigme, said the district could not take up the restoration project due to budget constraint.

Top Stories

Related Stories

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube