English | Dzongkha Thursday, November 23, 2017

Clean and Sober Bhutan observed

Nov 28, 2010

More than 200 drugs and alcohol addicts gathered at the clock tower square to celebrate the Clean and Sober Bhutan event. The event was held to show the unity and commitment of the recovering addicts towards a healthy drug and alcohol free life. It is also to create awareness on the ill effects of drugs and alcohol.

The theme this year is “Healthy, Drugs and Alcohol free Bhutan – It starts with ME!”

During the event, one of the recovered addicts spoke about his painful struggle with drugs, how he initially began, how he got addicted before he even realised. He also spoke about how he fought everyday to win back his life from the clutches of the addiction.

Some of the recovering addicts also performed skits and dances to educate the gathering on the ill effects of drugs and alcohol.

They told BBS that through this event they want to help other addicts by making them understand that they are not alone.

“Through this program I want to let all the addicts know how important it is to come forward and join the rehabilitation centers and get back to the normal life. I want to make them know that they are not alone and want to encourage them to join  in maintaining clean and sober Bhutan,” says Dema.

“I was an alcoholic once I used to be left in the street and all over but after I joined the rehabilitation center my life started to be a normal one. So I don’t want anyone to take up the bad habits,” Tshering Delkar said.

The event was organized by the Chithuen Phendey support group with financial support from Danida. The three ended today. Recovered and recovering addicts, parents and students participated in celebrating the day. Present during the celebration was the Health Minister Lyonpo Zangley Drukpa.

Leave a Reply

nine − 1 =

Copyright © 2017 BBSC.