A rare opportunity for Dzongkha teachers to experience other cultures

Teacher-CultureExchangeIn what can be termed as a rare opportunity for the teachers teaching the National language in the country, some 92 Dzongkha teachers from across the country will attend a 10-day study tour in India’s capital, New Delhi. The tour will begin from tomorrow.

Many Dzongkha teachers BBS spoke to said this is their first time travelling outside the country ever since they got into the profession. For some, it is the first opportunity to see the outside world, in a career spanning over three decades.

“I have served the government for 31 years. During all these years I was never given a chance to travel. I am happy for this opportunity finally,” said a Dzongkha teacher in Bumthang, Tshering Dukpa.

[pullquote]

I have served the government for 31 years. During all these years I was never given a chance to travel. I am happy for this opportunity finally.”

Tshering Dukpa
Dzongkha Teacher,
Bumthang

[/pullquote]

Another Dzongkhag teacher in Haa, Ugyen Tenzin, has been teaching for about 22 years. “All these years I was wondering if Dzongkha teachers will ever get a chance to go outside Bhutan. I am thankful to education ministry for finally giving me the chance.”

A Dzongkha teacher in Trongsa, Pema Choezang, said they will get to experience other cultures finally.

The study tour was initiated by the Ministry of Education as a new perk for Dzongkha teachers.

The Chief Programme Officer of education ministry, Chencho Dorji, said what is important is to give the teachers a bit of exposure to see other countries particularly India. “Other teachers get opportunities to go to India and third countries because of their study. Some, they go for seminars, and some they go for Master’s degree in India but Dzongkha teachers hardly get such opportunities,” he said.

Accompanied by other four officials from the education ministry, the teachers will visit places of historical importance, museums, and schools among others.

The programme is funded by the Government of India.

Top Stories

Related Stories

3 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube