Greeting cards replaced by text messages

SMS-CardsLong gone are the days when people sent greetings cards to family and friends on New Year or any other special occasions. It has been replaced by a cheaper and faster method- text messages.

Over 0.7 million SMS (Short Messaging Service) were exchanged last night by B-Mobile users alone.

The first SMS was sent by a software engineer Neil Papworth to Vodafone Director, Richard Jarvis on December 3, 1992.

Invention of SMS has changed the way people connect with each other.

[pullquote]

Using text messages to greet their family and friends as it is cheaper, faster and involves a lesser hassle.”

Tshering Dorji,
A Thimphu reisdent

[/pullquote]

Many people said they preferred using text messages to greet their family and friends as it is cheaper, faster and involves a lesser hassle.

“If I am to use greeting cards, I have to first go buy them, write a message and then drop it off to my family of relative’s place or buy a stamp and then post the cards,” said Tshering Dorji, a Thimphu resident. He said texting is just a matter of seconds, “and your job is done.”

There are people who still prefer sending cards but they are just a handful. “I like to put some thoughts and effort to make my family feel loved. It is not a chore. It is a gesture of love,” said Choden, 21, a college student.SMS-Cards.

But they are outweighed by the people who want faster, cheaper and hassle free way to keeping in touch and sending wishes.

As a result many tiny shops in the capital, which thrived on special occasions by selling cards, are seeing declining customers by the years.

“People don’t buy cards anymore,” said a gift shop owner in Thimphu, M. Khatri. He said he hasn’t restocked his shop for years now. He said he could sell only 25 cards this year.

Like M, Khatri, many gift shop vendors in the capital have give up hope to generate income by selling cards.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube