In conversation with the recipients of Druk Thuksey

HM+DrukThuksey.In the backdrop of the Druk Thuksey award His Majesty the King conferred to four Indian officials yesterday, BBS takes a look at the efforts these four individuals have put in, to strengthen the Bhutan-India relationship and also bring about socio-economic change.

Former Indian Ambassador, Salman Haidar

Salman Haidar
Salman Haidar

“I have spent the best years of my life here in Bhutan,” said Salman Haider, one of the recipients of Druk Thuksey. Salman Haidar served as the Indian Ambassador to Bhutan between 1980 and 1983.

“In those days Gross National Happiness had not been articulated but for me personally there was a sense of great satisfaction having been here. I could see that Bhutan was under wonderful leadership,” said the former Ambassador.

While in New Delhi, Salman Haider served as the Foreign Secretary, Head of the Diplomatic Service, Spokesman for the Ministry of External Affairs and later as the Chief of Protocol, among other diplomatic positions.

He also served as the Indian Ambassador to the United Kingdom, and China, and as the First Secretary and Deputy to the Ambassador in Afghanistan.

He was also the Deputy Permanent Representative of India at the United Nations in New York. He has a B.A Honours in English from Delhi University and a B.A with Honours in English from Cambridge University.

Serving Indian Ambassador to Bhutan, Pavan K. Varma

Another recipient of Druk Thuksey, the serving Indian Ambassador to Bhutan, Pavan K. Varma, said he feels exceptionally honoured. He is recognised for his service to Bhutan in bringing socio-economic growth.

Pavan K. Varma
Pavan K. Varma

He came to Bhutan in 2009.

“I feel undeserving but this medal as far as I am concerned is a high award conferred by His Majesty himself.”

[pullquote]

…This medal for me represents the great friendship, of course at personal level it shall remain as one o the cherished possession and a souvenir for my family.”

Pavan K. Varma
Indian Ambassador to Bhutan

[/pullquote]

The Ambassador also said for him the medal is a symbol of the graciousness of His Majesty the King, the exceptional kindness of the Royal Government and people and the external symbol of the strength of Indo–Bhutan friendship.

Pavan K. Varma has served in Moscow, in New York at the Indian Mission to the United Nations, in London, where he was Director of the Nehru Centre, and as India’s High Commissioner in Cyprus.

A great lover of literature, he has authored many books. He even conceptualized ‘Mountain Echoes’, a literary festival in the country.

Former Indian Ambassador to Bhutan, Dalip Mehta

Dalip Mehta
Dalip Mehta

Another recipient of the prestigious Druk Thuksey award is yet another former Indian Ambassador to Bhutan, Dalip Mehta. He served between 1995 to 1998.

“I think it is a very great honour to have been bestowed this high medal by His Majesty the King. For me personally, it is a reflection of almost 40 years that I have worked towards India-Bhutan relations,” said Dalip Mehta.

He was working in Bhutan even before he came as the Ambassador. From 1975 till the end of 1978, he worked as the First Secretary of the Indian Mission in Bhutan.

He also  served as the Ambassador to the Central Asian Republics of Uzbekistan, Deputy Head of Mission in Paris and also as the Chief of Protocol in India.

He was also a trustee of the India-Bhutan Foundation. Dalip Mehta says he is putting into practice still today some of the things he learnt while he was in Bhutan.

Rajinder Nath Khazanchi
Rajinder Nath Khazanchi

PHPA’s Managing Director, Rajinder Nath Khazanchi

The Managing Director of Punatsangchhu Hydropower Project, Rajinder Nath Khazanchi, also received the medal for his dedicated service to the country’s socio-economic development.

He was the General Manager and the Managing Director of Tala hydropower project between 1997 and 2006. He assumed the present position since 2009.

Top Stories

Related Stories

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube