Preliminary hearing of Gyalpoizhing Land Case begins

The preliminary hearing of the Gyalpoizhing Land Case began in Monggar District Court today. All three charged under criminal offense- the National Assembly Speaker, the Home Minister and the Monggar municipal committee member- were present for the hearing.

Tshogpon Jigme Tshultim, Lyonpo Minjur Dorji and Dechen Singye were briefed by the Court on their legal rights and the dos and don’ts when the case is sub judice among others.

Tshogpon said he doesnot want any legal council or representative person. “I will defend myself,” he said. He is expected to be summoned by the Court for the next opening on December 19 and Dechen Singye on December 18.

[pullquote]

I don’t want any legal council or representative person. I will defend myself…”

Tshogpon Jigmi Tshultim

[/pullquote]

The Home Minister said he will be happy to represent himself whenever the Court summons him. “But as home and cultural minister, I have responsibilities that I cannot ignore,” Lyonpo told the court.

Drangpon Gembo Dorji of Monggar District Court said all three charged under criminal offense will have to respect the supremacy of the Court . “They have to abide by the law.” More than that he said he cannot say anything as the case is sub judice.

ACC registered over 70 cases under Gyalpoizhing land scam in Monggar Dzongkhag court on November 13. The case was first forwarded to the Office of Attorney General by the Anti-Corruption Commission on August 3, 2012.

The Office of Attorney General, however, returned the case to the Commission on September 19, 2012 saying there is no basis to pursue the case.

The Commission reviewed the laws, examined their relevant provisions and applicability to the case and consolidated charges for prosecution.

Top Stories

Related Stories

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube