Life after accident

Yangzom taking care of her husband

In his late thirties, Kinley was once the sole bread-earner of the family. A fatal car accident, two years ago, not only left him paralysed but destroyed the whole family in a way. He is undergoing treatment at the National Referral Hospital.

Kinley’s wife Yangzom has been attending to her husband’s need since the day to accident. They have been married for 18 months.

There is no one to look after their farm back home in Sephu village under Wangduephodrang. “Our house is locked all the time. I even brought my daughter with me here in the hospital as there is no one to look after her,” said Kinley.
[pullquote]
…This is not my struggle alone. It has become my family’s struggle.”

Kinley
Driver

[/pullquote]
She stays in Thimphu with her husband’s relative. The little saving they had is all gone. “I am worried how I will be able to educate my two children.”

Yangzom says all she does these days is attend to her husband’s needs.

Being confined within the four walls of the hospital, unable to move is frustrating for Kinley.  “There is nothing I can do. This is not my struggle alone. It has become my family’s struggle.” He believes it is his past deeds that brought him the misfortune. “We don’t even have money to perform religious rituals.”

[media id=340 width=320 height=260]

He says it is always pays to be extra cautious while driving and travelling. “Accidents such as mine will change your life for worst and for forever,” says Kinley.

Apart from the trauma the families of people involved in accidents have to go through, a huge chuck of resources from the government’s coffer has to be channeled for the treatment of such patients.

According to the record maintained by the National Referral Hospital, in a year, there are over a thousand patients, related to road accidents, admitted in the hospital on an average.

Top Stories

Related Stories

3 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube