People reluctant to take oral self-testing kit services for HIV: Lhak-Sam

Despite the health ministry’s initiative of oral self-testing kit services for HIV this year, people are still reluctant to avail of the testing services. The fear of testing positive and the stigma surrounding HIV/AIDs discourage people from taking the test. This is according to Lhak-Sam, a non-profit organisation that works with relevant stakeholders to take action towards effective response to HIV and AIDs and its negative impacts.

The health ministry initiated the self-testing kit services in the six priority districts with a high prevalence of HIV in June this year. The ministry has yet to evaluate and compile the initiative’s results. However, as per Lhak-Sam, the number of people turning up for the service is minimal.

“People do turn up for tests but it is quite minimal. This is because people are scared of testing positive. The most common reason is sexual intercourse, people are reluctant to come forward and do the tests,” said Wangda Dorji, the Executive Director of Lhak-Sam.

“Most of us indulge in sexual activities. I am testing myself to not only know my HIV status but also to find out if I have other sexually transmitted diseases. This way, I can seek medical assistance if needed,” said Dechen Selden, a resident of Thimphu.

“These tests are important because if we test positive, we can receive medication and other services on time. But if we fail to test ourselves on time, it will be too late,” said Kezang Phuntsho, another resident.

“The main reason why people living with HIV/AIDS are stigmatised is because of society’s mentality. If this mentality can be changed, people will be willing to come forward and conduct tests. This would enable people to know their HIV status and conduct timely treatment,” said Tshering Choden, a supervisor of Genekha Livelihood Center.

The health ministry started the oral self-testing kit services to achieve the national target of ending HIV/AIDs by 2030. Bhutan first detected the HIV case in 1993.

According to the health ministry, currently, about 1,300 people are living with HIV in the country. HIV or Human Immunodeficiency Virus is a virus that weakens the immune system in the body. And Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome widely known as AIDS is a life-threatening infection at a later stage of HIV.

Tashi Yangden

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube