RAA reforms its Training center into an All-Accessible One

According to the latest Population and Housing Census conducted in 2017, more than 2 per cent of the country’s total population has some form of disability. But there is still a lot to be done in terms of ensuring an inclusive and accessible environment. The Royal Audit Authority doing its bit by trying to make its workplaces disabled-friendly. The RAA recently completed transforming its Professional Development Centre in Tsirang into one such place.

The Professional Development Centre or PDC, which is a training centre, has its halls, hostels, computer lab, dining halls, and even washrooms made accessible for all including people living with disabilities.

The centre has been equipped with handrails and even floorings modified.

According to an RAA employee, who is a wheelchair user, the new facilities will make the workplace safer and accessible for everyone.

“Earlier, without such facilities here at the training centre, it was difficult to attend training and workshops. The new facility will benefit people like me a lot,” said the employee who did not want to be named. “Now I can go to washrooms and training halls without the help of my colleagues.”

The move is in line with the Royal Audit Authority’s efforts to improve accessibility in its offices. The RAA says it decided to remodel its training centre in Tsirang first since the workplace is also used by other offices to train their employees or conduct meetings.

“I think (it’s) not only training centres, (but) in all government structures and offices, wherever you go, these people are being left out. So we thought we will include and make this training centre inclusive,” said Minjur Dorji, the Deputy Auditor General of the Royal Audit Authority.

The Austrian Development Agency or ADA financed the remodelling works at the RAA training centre which cost Nu. 3.8 million.

“One cross-cutting issue as we call it in development cooperation is leaving no one behind. This means we are focusing here in Bhutan particular on women, children, and in this case persons with disabilities,” said Gerhard Adam, the Head of the Austrian Coordination Office. “So this is why we reacted very positively to the proposal of the Royal Audit Authority to retrofit this building to make it accessible for persons with disabilities.”

Meanwhile, the RAA says it has also been advising other institutes to make their offices accessible for all.

Pema Tshewang, Tsirang

Edited by Yeshi Gyaltshen

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube