Armyworm creates havoc among farmers in Sakteng Gewog

Maize is one of the staple foods in Joenkhar-Murbi chiwog in Sakteng Gewog in Trashigang. It is also one of the main cash crops for the residents of the chiwog. But this time, farmers are worried as they are losing their crops to pests. Recently, armyworms and cutworms have been ravaging the maize fields.

The cutworm and armyworm infestation compelled some farmers to leave their fields fallow this year. Usually, farmers sow the maize seeds in February and March, and by this time, the plants are almost ready for harvest.

But this year, farmers had to sow seeds several times due to the pest infestation. Farmers said armyworms damaged the plants last year too but the damage was not as bad as it is this time.

“I have sown maize seeds three times this season. We depend on maize as we don’t have other sources of income. But it is affected by the pests. We are worried and we don’t know what to do. We are trying our best not to leave the fields fallow,” said Cheten Zangmo, a farmer.

“I used to earn about Nu 6,000 to 8,000 by selling maize. This year, I don’t think I will be able to earn anything,” said Karma Yangzom, another farmer.

According to the Gewog Agriculture Extension Officer, they have distributed pesticides. The officer added that they are yet to ascertain the extent of the damage.

The chiwog produced more than 130 metric tons or about thirteen truckloads of maize last year.

Meanwhile, the Dzongkhag Agriculture Officer said that they have received similar reports from other gewogs as well and distributed the pesticides.

With such kinds of pest infestation, maize production is likely to be affected this season.

Sonam Darjay, Trashigang

Edited by Tshering Zam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube