Filling skill shortage in rural communities through village skills development programme

With almost every household electrified, electrical appliances are a common sight in Bhutanese homes. But the majority of the people, especially in rural communities, depend on professional help for basic home appliance maintenance and repair works. However, the recent training under the labour ministry’s village skills development programme is expected to fill this skill shortage in Zhemgang.

After pounding the pavement for months in the capital, Chimi Wangmo and Rinchen Wangmo returned to their village and joined the village skills development programme in Zhemgang. With the month-long training on home appliance maintenance and repair, they are now ready to test their skills.

“I have learned to do house wiring, connect fans, fix tube lights and power sockets. In addition, I have also learned how to dismantle and assemble a fan and its power connection,” said Rinchen.

“When I go back to my village, I will take up electrical maintenance like domestic house wiring and other electrical problems. I can also fit new tube lights where necessary,” added Chimi.

The labour ministry provided the training to about 20 individuals in the district. Besides helping out-of-school and unemployed youth acquire the skills for income generation, the training is expected to make the rural communities self-reliant.

The village skills development programme was initiated in 1984 to enhance rural livelihood and build the capabilities of the villagers to reduce dependency on skilled expatriate workers.

Pema Samdrup, Zhemgang

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube