More farmers taking up commercial watermelon farming, Punakha

For the farmers of Jibjo-Yuesakha chiwog in Toewang Gewog in Punakha, watermelon is fast becoming one of their main cash crops. An increasing number of farmers there are growing the fruit for commercial purposes with the district and gewog agriculture offices encouraging them to grow the crop on a larger scale every season. 

Among the farmers who ventured into commercial watermelon farming is 44-year-old Shacha Singye. He is cultivating watermelon on a large scale for the first time this season. He cultivated the fruit on about 25-decimal land.

He started cultivating watermelon when he returned home to pursue farming after the pandemic hit the country in March 2020. Prior to that, he was working for a travel agent in Thimphu.

“I initially cultivated the fruit only for self-consumption. But now, with experience and support from the government I am encouraged to grow it in mass for commercial purposes,” said Shacha.

Shacha said growing watermelon is a lot easier compared to cultivating other crops.

Although he is new to farming and did not have any hands-on training he could cultivate the fruit without much struggle.

“Going by the current market price, I am expecting to earn about Nu 30,000 this season. I want to continue growing the crop hereafter as well.”

He said the gewog agriculture office provided him with the necessary support.

Like Shacha, other farmers in his village also cultivate the fruit. The number of households growing watermelon increased to over 15 from just about five households in the last five years.

The fruit is usually planted in March and ripens around this time of the year.

“It is easier to cultivate watermelon than vegetables. We will have to work almost every day if we cultivate chilli. Moreover, it is also easier to sell watermelon. I am planning to cultivate more watermelon next season,” said Sangay Lhamo, another watermelon farmer.

“We can earn a good income. A single watermelon can fetch us a minimum of Nu 300,” said Namgay another farmer.

However, they are challenged due to the shortage of irrigation water in the chiwog. “Watermelon sapling requires adequate and consistent watering,” said Namgay.

She added that besides the water issue, the farmers also lose the fruit to thieves once it ripens.

Five households first started cultivating the crop in the chiwog in 2018 with support from the Agriculture Research and Development Centre at Bajo.

“For the farmers growing the fruit on mass, I help them with almost everything. I support them with plantation works and even guide them to manage the field in case of pest infestation,” said Leela Maya Adhikari, Senior Agriculture Supervisor of Toewang Gewog.

She said the farmers will not face marketing issues as other gewogs in the district do not grow the fruit for commercial purposes for now.

Being the lone gewog in the district to grow the fruit for commercial purposes, watermelon farmers in Toewang are expecting a long-term business prospect.

Changa Dorji, Punakha

Edited by Phub Gyem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube