Trongsa to have its first artificial turf football ground

Trongsa will have its first artificial turf football ground by the end of next year. The Dzongkhag administration is constructing the stadium with support from the Bhutan Olympic Committee. Works began about a month ago.

A private futsal ground at Langthil is one of only two places in Trongsa where the public can enjoy a game of football. The other place is at the Tagtse College’s football ground but requires permission from the college management.

Sometimes, footballers travel to Bumthang.

The new football ground is being constructed at Sherubling which falls under the extended town area. It is being constructed over the football ground of the Sherubling Central School.

Meanwhile, the news has excited football lovers in the district.

“I have been playing on the muddy football ground since I was a child. I love playing football a lot. I am very excited since we will have a ground with artificial turf,” says Tandin Tshering.

“The artificial turf will also minimise the risk of injuries. I am very excited,” said Kinley Dorji, another football lover.

Tashi, who resides in Sherubling says such a facility will be crucial for developing young talent.

“If we have these facilities in places like Trongsa, children won’t have to go to other districts to get training or coaching in football.”

Once ready, the facility will be managed by the Dzongkhag administration and will be accessible to everyone. The stadium will have lighting for games at night, and will also have a seating capacity of about 600 spectators.

Meanwhile, a portion of the ground has become loose due to groundwater seepage. Officials say they will reconstruct foundation walls to address the issue. It is expected to take about nine months

“It will be a loss of investment if the old walls collapse within a year to two after everything is completed. So, we want to carry out the precautionary measures right from the beginning,” said District Chief Engineer, Tharchen.

The project is expected to be completed in 18 months. The Bhutan Olympic Committee is providing artificial turf. However, the Dzongkhag administration says the new ground will not be a disturbance to the school.

“The ground is located at the end below the school structures. It will not disturb the school or the students,” said Trongsa Dzongda, Phub Rinzin.

Important events organised by the Dzongkhag office will also be held in the new stadium. The project is estimated to cost around Nu 57 M.

Passang, Trongsa

Edited by Yeshi Gyaltshen

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube