Blacktopped road starts disintegrating after two weeks- Zhemgang

Nothing seems to change when it comes to stories relating to road issues in the country. From communities in the rural areas still waiting for a road network to construction works getting delayed or to roads riddled with potholes within a few years or months of construction, the issues are the same and never-ending across the country. The Zhemgang town road tells the same story. After delaying for more than half a year, blacktopping works were completed two weeks ago. But now, the road is already in a bad condition.

The road widening and blacktopping works along the two-kilometre stretch from Dhangkhar to the fuel depot were supposed to complete in October last year. However, works such as drain and footpath constructions are still ongoing. The blacktopping ended earlier this month.

But the blacktops are disintegrating in certain stretches, especially in the town area. The seal coats are damaged and bitumen mixtures such as gravel and sand are fragmenting over the road.

“I don’t blame the contractor because he is trying to make money. But if the road falls in town, Thromde Thuemi and Engineers should be held accountable. Even the Dzongkhag Administration could have investigated. Every official must take responsibility,” said Kuenzang Tenzin, a resident.

“If this is the condition of the road near the Dzong, I can’t imagine other faraway roads in rural places,” added another resident.

“I feel the dzongkhag administration didn’t monitor the site properly. The road is riddled with potholes and gravel. Even if they redo works, I think it won’t be good as before,” said Lhajala.

Some allege that the budget granted by the government was not used judiciously. “The responsible officials and contactors should put effort to construct the quality road. Had they carried out stringent monitoring, things won’t have turned out as it is today,” said Tshering Tenzin, also in Zhemgang.

The dzongkhag engineering sector has asked the contractor to redo the damaged stretches.

“We just have one engineer and it is difficult for him to monitor the works, be it at the site or the mixing plant. The contractor has not handed over the road to us for now. We will ask him to carry out maintenances and repair the road,” said Luv Kumar Chhetri, the Chief Engineer with Zhemgang Dzongkhag.

The works are being executed at a cost of Nu 25 M.

Pema Samdrup, Zhemgang

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube