Rice mill owners see drop in business

Operating a rice mill as a business has helped farmers in Paro make a living for decades. But with most people now owning a rice mill of their own, rice mill owners are finding it difficult to foster their otherwise profitable business. The number of people visiting the rice mills is declining. Rice mills have eased the lives of farmers compared to the laborious hand pounding of paddy in a traditional mortar and pestle.

Karma, 55, from Bondey has been operating a rice mill for nearly three decades. The business has helped him support his family and his children’s education. His rice mill enjoyed a lot of clouts.

“In 2004 when I replaced the old small mill with the bigger and advanced Japanese machine, many people came to my mill. On average, I used to mill over 6,000 kilograms of rice. Even in summer, many people came to my mill. But today it has come down as people own small mills that are easily available in the market,” said Karma.

Similarly, Gyembo from Dotey Gewog is seeing fewer people visiting his rice mill. He started operating his rice mill business in 2008.

“Earlier everyone came to my mill. But now that everybody has mini mills at home, it has affected my business. However, when people have to grind paddy in huge amounts within a short period, they call me,” said Gyembo.

However, for Tshering Lham, 32, who makes a living by selling rice, owning a rice mill became imperative to visiting a rice mill located far away. And like her, almost every family owns a mini rice mill now.

“It is convenient for us when male family members are not around. We can immediately use paddy from our store and grind it. If not we have to carry the paddy on our backs and visit mills and request them. Moreover, the machine is easier to operate as we just have to switch on the light and a button. I grind almost 50 kilograms of rice daily,” said Tshering Lham.

Paro is one of the largest rice producers in the country today. As per records with the Dzongkhag Agriculture sector, the district produced 9,634 metric tons of rice last year.

Namgay Wangchuk, Paro

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube