DeSuups gaining multi-skills through skilling programme

The DeSuung Skilling Programme is enabling multi-skilling of DeSuups, a move aimed at enhancing their employability. Besides gaining skills in the infrastructure building sector such as roads, houses and water supply schemes, ICT, baking, tailoring and hair-cutting, the DeSuups are now getting familiar with operating heavy machinery.

About 19 DeSuups can operate excavators, backhoe loaders, and other heavy earth-moving equipment. They have acquired these newfound skills after undergoing four months of skilling training at one private technical institute in Samdrup Jongkhar.

The training, which began late last year ended only yesterday as the pandemic induced lockdowns interrupted the sessions.

The participants were trained by an expert from the Philippines. After having gained such skills, they are hopeful of landing better employment opportunities.

“For youth like me who is unemployed, this type of training will help me find jobs. I am intending to become an excavator operator. But before that, I will do on-job training for three months,” said one of the DeSuups, Yeshi Penjor Doya.

His point of view was echoed by some other DeSuups.

“I am not highly educated and so have been without jobs so far. After attending the training, I don’t think I will face problems in finding a job. I acquired several skills and technical knowledge on operating machines,” added another DeSuup, Sonam Tashi.

At the closing event of the DeSuung Skilling Programme yesterday, the Prime Minister, Dr Lotay Tshering remarked that one must update diverse skills to keep up with the advancement of technology.

“New model is being developed now. More efficient machines are invented. Right now you all are operating machines running with fuel. There are machines which do not require fuel. So with advanced technology, you all should acquire skills accordingly.”

Along with the training certificates, the 19 DeSuups received passed driving test reports.

As some of them are yet to reach 25 years of age, which is the minimum qualified age for driving, the driving licenses will be given at later dates.

Kinley Wangchuk, Samdrup Jongkhar

Edited by Pema Lhaden

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube