Government responds to controversial Denchi land case

The government says the land compensation paid to people who own land in Denchi in Pemagatshel was in keeping with the laws. The statement comes after one of the newspapers, ‘The Bhutanese’, reported that the cabinet has violated the laws by giving unusually high rates to the land owners. People who own land in Denchi were paid Nu.9,000 per decimal.

In its August 10 edition, the newspaper called ‘The Bhutanese’ reported that the rate was abnormally high and that the cabinet has violated the Land Compensation Rules and the Land Act of 2007.

The works and human settlement minister, Yeshey Zimba, said when the government decided to take the land, people of Denchi said the land rate should be at par that of Nganglam. Nganglam was declared as a town.

“There is also a rule that the land rate should be fixed by the Property Assessment and Valuation Agency (PAVA), which is a committee in MoF. When we went by PAVA, they said Denchi would become a town in future but it is still a rural area without any facilities. They also said that it is not the best of the rural areas,” said Lyonpo. “They classified it as grade B rural land with rates just over Nu.3900. People did not accept that rate. If we left it at that we won’t be able to acquire the land and build a town.”

However, prior to the Property Assessment and Valuation Agency’s price recommendation, Denchi was declared as a category B Thromde in the joint sitting of the parliament in July 2010. This means the rate recommended by the PAVA was not valid.

Lyonpo Yeshey Zimba said they decided to see how the rate would be increased to an acceptable rate. “So Local Government Act was passed. According to the Act and the Constitution, the thromdes will be declared by the joint sitting of the parliament. In July 2010, in the joint session, Denchi was identified as Pemagatshel town.” Lyonpo said the town was classified as Thromde B. “And the PAVA rate for Thromde B, for commercial Area was Nu.18, 900 per decimal and for residential area it was Nu.9,800.  Given the government’s resource position we convinced people to take less. They settled for less. What we have done is not against the rules. It is absolute in keeping with the laws.”

The rate was fixed during the 90th session of the Lhengye Zhungtshog last year. The government also decided that it will acquire land only for the construction of Dzong and District Court among others. They decided to enforce land pooling for other areas for the proposed town.

The dzongkhag and works and human settlement ministry acquired about 19 acres of land.

The identified site in Denchi covers an area of 116 acres belonging to 26 Thram holders. With close to 25 acres, Dechen Zangmo is the major land holder. ‘The Bhutanese’ hinted that the rates were increased since Dechen Zangmo is a close relative of the Prime Minister.

Speaking to BBS, Dechen Zangmo said it was difficult to give away her ancestral land. She said half of it, is wetland which she had plans to work on it. However, taking in account the larger interest, she said, she agreed to sell the land.

She said all the land owners were not happy with the rates offered and also appealed repeatedly to the Dzongkhag administration to increase the rates.

Dechen Zangmo also said so far the government has acquired about 10 acres of her land for Dzong construction.

When asked about her response to the ‘The Bhutanese report she said she is happy that the newspaper picked up the story, as it gave her more reason to sell her land. She added if at all she decides to sell, she would demand more than the current rate for the rest of her land.

Meanwhile, speaking at the graduates’ orientation program recently, Prime Minister said no one in Denchi wanted to sell their land.  “But because she is my aunt, we persuaded her and I bullied her and she said this is what I get from my nephew. You are bullying me into selling a family land. You should be helping me in strengthening and preserve family property. I persuaded her, she agreed,” said the Prime Minister.

A press release from the government states that the article which appeared in the newspaper was highly personalized and vindictive. It stated that it was yet another, attempt to discredit the government.

Meanwhile, the constructions of Thrimkhang and bypass road are already under progress. The Pemagatshel Dzongda, Goling Tshering, said the ground works to construct the Dzong is also under progress.

The current Pemgatshel town was found to be unsafe. Since 1990, three locations were identified and rejected on various grounds. And finally during the 89th session of National Assembly 2006, the government settled on Denchi upon recommendation of His Majesty the Fourth Druk Gyalpo.

Top Stories

Related Stories

10 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube