Dark side of reality shows

Reality shows of various kinds have gained popularity in the country over the years. But the shows have a deglamorised side to it too, such as the winners being denied the promised prizes.

A flashy advert announcing a grand prize, which was how, Dance Khorey Dance, a reality show, was launched on BBS2. The grand prize attracted quite a number of participants. But, they were in for a disappointing surprise.

Speaking to BBS, Lodey Khandu, the father of the winner, Sonam Wangchuck, said the advert showed the grand prize as an A-star car. “My son won the show. But he was awarded a cheque of Nu.100,000 instead of a car and the cheque too bounced back.”

The winner of the Bhutan Star season 3, Dorji Wangchuk, is yet to get what he rightfully won, a car. The show was broadcast last year. Dorji Wangchuk said the delay has prolonged for more than eight months now. “I did not file a complaint with BICMA because the organiser said he was being cheated by the marketing officer.” He said after talking to the sponsor, Zimdra, he learnt that the delivery of the prize would be delayed because of rupee crunch. “The organiser and I came to a consensus that the organizer would pay me in cash.”

Sonam Wangchuk’s father said because of the reality show his son performed poorly in the mid-term exam.

The organiser of Dance Khoray Dance was not available for comments.

Top Stories

Related Stories

6 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube