Unreliable mobile network frustrates people in Haa

Several villages of Samar Gewog in Haa are yet to have reliable mobile network connectivity. B-Mobile and TashiCell have only one 3G network tower each in the gewog as of now. The issue is particularly acute in Langpa-Norbugang Chiwog where even call service is also unstable.

Tshering Zam, a Gedu College of Business Studies student, is worried as her new semester will begin in a few days through online classes. At her home in Langpa, she can barely access the internet.

Information on social media is difficult to access due to very slow internet speeds. The B-Mobile SIM shows only 2G networks on her phone while the TashiCell service also fluctuates between 2G and 3G.

“I can’t access my college’s Facebook page and websites. We have to either go to town or settlements along the highway to access the Internet. With the second semester about to begin, I am planning to go to Haa town after a few days at my sister’s place to attend my online classes.”

Langpa and Norbugang villages have around 60 households with a population of about 400. The TashiCell and B-Mobile network towers are located only about a few kilometres away from the chiwog. But a ridge between the towers and the chiwog is affecting network connectivity.

“It is difficult to access news and information instantly here. For instance, BBS’s television news bulletin only broadcasts at night, so we miss out on all updates and breaking stories on social media posted throughout the day,” said Tenzin Jamtsho, a resident of Langpa under Shamar Gewog.

“In the capital and other urban areas, even 5G has been launched while in villages like ours, let alone 4G, we are even struggling to access a stable 3G network. Inside homes, we can’t even access voice services. We have to step outside to access 3G,” said Tshering Phuntsho, another resident.

Elsewhere, several villages are also facing similar issues. Dorikha village, where both the B-Mobile and TashiCell network towers are located, also faces network problems.

“Though the network towers are situated in our Chiwog, villages such as Lamjigang, Mendana, Koina, Lhenkha and Tsoensikha are facing not just Internet but also voice service issues,” said Chencho.

Bhutan Telecom installed a new 4G network tower at Anakha in Uesu Gewog, which started operating last week. It is expected to solve network issues in the Sangkiri, Girina and Pajekha villages of Uesu Gewog and Puduna village of Samar Gewog. Though network connectivity has improved in the three villages of Uesu, Puduna village is still experiencing partial and fluctuating internet service.

“Access to the internet is a real issue here. It is hampering students who have to join online classes and do e-learning activities. We can’t receive real-time news and information,” said Tshering Wangchuk, a resident of Puduna.

Bhutan Telecom’s Manager in Haa, Maita Raj Rai, said users who still use 3G SIM cards must be experiencing problems. An Acceptance Test to make the best use of the new tower will be conducted in a month. The test will allow the telecom to determine if the required network signal has reached the desired customer base and carry out rectification works. He also said the network tower in Dorikha will be upgraded to 4G by next year.

However, if the problems persist, a new sector will be added to the current 3G tower to decongest network traffic soon.

TashiCell’s Regional Manager in Paro, Rinzin Dorji, said a new 4G network tower will be installed at Zurijab in Samar Gewog within this year to address the issues.

Meanwhile, network issues are also prevalent in Sangbay and Gakiling Gewogs.

Kipchu, Haa

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube