English | Dzongkha Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Thousands attend the Job Fair

Oct 24, 2010

Thousands of job seekers from across the Kingdom are attending the 8th National Job fair in Thimphu. The two-day fair began yesterday. ‘Right people, Right time, Right place’ is the theme of this year’s National Job fair. The Labour and Human Resources Minister, Lyonpo Dorji Wangdi opened the fair.

Addressing the gathering, Lyonpo Dorji Wangdi highlighted the government’s effort in curbing the unemployment issue in the country. Lyonpo said employment creation remains to be the highest priority for the government.

“In terms of socio- economic development, in terms of laying foundation for good governance, in terms of promoting good governance and in terms of pursuing all our overall goals the country is very well….there are no major challenges. However, if there is any, there is only one that is the growing pressure on employment,” said Lyonpo Dorji Wangdi.

Lyonpo said the job fair would provide information and knowledge to potential job seekers on labour market situation including future opportunities.

Some of the job seekers said they came with the hope and expectation of finding a job through the fair.

Robin, an engineering graduate is one of the thousands of youth who have come to attend the Job fair. He said there was not much opportunity for engineering students since there is no job vacancies advertised at the fair.

“From the point of my view I think the job fair is only for the students with business background as there are not many opportunities for the engineering students. For it isn’t of much help to me but am sure it will benefit the other job seekers,” he added.

The Department of Employment says the event is being organized to bring together job seekers and employers. More than 40 private, corporate and government agencies are participating in the fair. The first national job fair was conducted in 2003.

Leave a Reply

− five = 3

Copyright © 2017 BBSC.