Residents unhappy with the compensations from MHEP, Trongsa

It has been more than two years now after the 720 MW Mangdechhu plant in Trongsa began to generate electricity and revenue. However, some residents of Kuenga Rabten and Samchholing Khamaed in Dragteng Gewog in Trongsa are still unhappy with the monetary compensation received for damages caused to their houses. They claim that it was due to the project’s tunnel constructed near the settlement.

Sixty-four-year-old Nado is one of the residents worst affected by the construction in Samchholing Khamaed. Several cracks have developed on his house which he said is situated just above the powerhouse. He said the major cracks appeared sometime in 2020.

“I reported the matter to the gewog, dzongkhag and project officials. They even came to inspect my house. But I did not get any help,” He said.

The problem doesn’t end here. Holes have appeared in his fields. He said he cannot transplant paddy since the fields do not hold water.

“I denied the compensation of Nu 400,000. If the problem further aggravates in the future, they are not willing to take the responsibility,” said Nado.

The project compensated 19 households in 2020. But many want the concerned offices to carry out a thorough investigation again and review the compensation in consultation with the affected households. Meanwhile, 11 new reports of damages are still with the gewog office.

“We are not happy since the cracks are increasing. I think a further investigation is required to know what would happen in the future, discuss compensation and other things accordingly,” said Sonam Penjor, a resident of Kuenga Rabten. 

Another resident, Tshewang Zangmo said, “When we reported about the cracks, we were told that the land is not stable here. I have been living here all my life, nothing like this happened before. The problem started as the project neared completion. And the compensation we received was not enough to repair the houses.”

“If I need to restore, I have to rebuild the house and the compensation will not be enough,” said Denka.

“The repairing work is not helping. We are seeing new cracks.  I can hear a sound as if the structure is sinking,” said Wangdi.

The project officials said residents were compensated in consultation with relevant stakeholders. The authority added they observed the situation and even installed monitoring equipment but found no further damages. The tunnel was also said to be structurally stable.

Passang, Trongsa

Edited by Tandin Phuntsho

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube