Preu ritual of Jasabi in Lhuentse on the verge of disappearance

Although Bhutan is a country of rich culture and tradition, many fear that due to modernisation, it would one day perish. Among many that are on the verge of disappearance today is the indigenous Preu of Jasabi in Kurtoe Gewog in Lhuentse. During the festival, the people make offerings to Guru Rinpoche on the 10th day of the 3rd and 4th months of the Bhutanese calendar. The festival was among the highlights of the 114th National Day celebration at the courtyard of the Jigme Namgyel Naktshang in Dungkar.

Among the performer of Preu was 66-year-old Phuntsho Tshewang from Jasabi. He was 10 years old when he first took part in the Preu offering.

During the ritual, apart from prayers by lams and monks, villagers make as many as nine different religious offerings. Among them is Mani – the six-syllable mantra.

However, most of the performers are now old. And this according to Phuntsho Tshewang is worrying as young ones are less interested to learn about the ritual and performing it.

“Life is uncertain. So, when I die, this would as well get buried with me. I urge everyone to practice and perform the ritual diligently at all times,” he said.

Villagers are also of the view that if the natives of Jasabi who live in urban areas come to attend the annual festival, this could also help preserve the custom.

Similarly, another villager Tshewang Rinchhen said only old people remain in the village which would affect the continuity of the ritual.

“Most of the youth live far away and I think it is time we call them here during the festival,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Dzongkhag Culture Office is doing its part to preserve and promote such indigenous customs. The Dzongkhag Cultural Officer, Karma Zangmo, said they keep a record of the ritual in video and audio form.

The ritual is also significant to the people there as it brings them good health. According to the villagers, once they fell victim to an epidemic after they failed to observe it.

The ritual has to be conducted every year and the elderlies in the village now pin their hopes on the people of Jasabi who reside outside the dzongkhag.

Dorji Gyeltshen 

Edited by Chayku

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube