A cut above the rest

He was different from other boys in his class since his school days. Rather than studying, Sangay Tshewang’s interest lay in carving beautiful patterns on any piece of wood he came across. Thus, he failed many exams.

But, instead of wallowing in self-pity, getting into wrong company and fading away, he chose to be distinct. He strove to be an achiever. And now, Sangay Tshewang, 33, from Dramedtse in Monggar does the most expensive wood carving in the country. He has won many awards for his creative works.

“I used to consider myself a failure,” he said, adding he could never get decent marks in any subjects. But through the support of his parents, Sangay Tshewang could pursue what he loved the best. Wood carving, he says, moreover came naturally to him.

He left painting school soon afterwards. He then started learning oh his own. “My passion for wood carving kept me going.”

Sangay Tshewang says he is facing challenges when it comes to modern designs. But that does not deter him. “In fact it makes me strive harder,” he said.

Currently, he is handling one of the major projects at Takila in Lhuentse.

Top Stories

Related Stories

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube