Research-based reading program helps students cultivate reading habits

We have heard many times that reading at an early age is the key to lifelong learning. However, helping students cultivate this habit is easier said than done. But beginning this academic session, nine schools under Thimphu Dzongkhag adopted and implemented a research-based reading intervention program and found it effective.

The reading skills of students of Hongtsho Primary School in Thimphu were assessed yesterday. The students have been developing their love for reading using different strategies.

“There are a lot of benefits to reading. It improves our language, enhances our writing skills, we get a lot of knowledge, it also improves our cognitive skills and helps us become a learned person,” said Kinley Yangki, a student.

Another student of Hongtsho primary school, Tshindu Gyalpo said, “Reading intervention has helped me to read fluently, increase my vocabulary and comprehension, increase my pronunciation and enrich my imagination.”

One of the strategies is Drop Everything And Read or DEAR moment. During this, every single person starting from the principal to the caretakers stop everything they are doing and read.

The Reading Coordinator Cheki Wangmo said, “From the assessment tool that we carried out, we were able to find out that they enjoyed reading during the DEAR moment and they were able to learn new words and then also develop interest towards reading.”

The dzongkhag chose the strategies based on research carried out in 2019 with 72 struggling readers.

“The intervention was carried out for nine weeks in 2019 and what we have found is not only the student’s reading had improved but also helped in improving their academic performance,” said Lham Tshering, the Deputy Chief Education Officer of Thimphu Dzongkhag.

The findings from the assessment will help plan for the next intervention.

Sonam Pem

Edited by Tandin Phuntsho 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube