Thousands of patients come forward for acupuncture service – Trashigang

Currently, acupuncture service in the country is available only in Thimphu. It is inconvenient for people in the far-flung places who have to travel all the way to the capital to obtain the treatment. To take the service to the people, the Department of Traditional Medicine Services recently carried out acupuncture camps in Trashigang and Trashi Yangtse.

The five-day camp in Trashigang saw a huge turnout. More than a thousand people came to avail themselves of the service.

People from nearby districts also took advantage of the opportunity which they say is otherwise rare.

Acupuncture is famous for curing headaches, back pain, neck pain and joint pain.

Kezang Mindu, a patient from Phongmey said, “I have a problem when I stretch my leg, I cannot climb up and down the stairs. I have been getting acupuncture treatment since yesterday and I already feel better. I am happy.”

“Usually when I wake up, I have difficulty moving my fingers. I get pain in my joints. But with this treatment, I feel I can move my fingers. I wish we had such therapy here in the Trashigang Hospital.” added Cheki Zangmo, another patient from Samkhar.

According to the Department of Traditional Medicine Services, there are only two Dungtsho in the country.

Tharpala, the Head of Department of Traditional Medicine Services said, “The government has plan to start the service in the region first and then at the Dzongkhag level. But due to shortage of Dungtshos, we can’t start the service.”

The camp in Trashi Yangtse also saw a similar number of visitors. A week-long acupuncture therapy camp will be organized in Lhuentse towards the end of this month.

Sonam Darjay, Trashigang

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube