Trashigang hospital sees high number of alcohol related diseases

Trashigang district records the highest number of alcohol related health cases in the country every year.  It saw 75 cases of alcohol related diseases in 2011. And the number is increasing. Till June this year, 65 cases of alcohol related diseases were reported. Four people died of alcohol this year alone.

Most of the patients said they did not realise the ill effects of alcohol until they got sick. “I did not realise how harmful alcohol is to my health until I was admitted in the hospital. Now I regret drinking alcohol all my life. I am happy that I could stop drinking now. And today, I want to live even if it is for a day,” said Tshering, a patient.

“I started drinking when I was a child,” said Dema, “my grandparents encouraged me to drink. I was innocent then but now when I realise, it is too late.”

Drinking alcohol is still considered a social norm in the eastern pockets of the country. And this, according to the hospital, could be the reason for the increasing number of alcohol related patients. Apart from treating the patients, the hospital also provides counseling to them.

Doctors said there are lots of benefits, if people can quit alcohol at early stage. “If people can stop drinking alcohol before their liver gets damaged, the chances to recover are very high. Once the liver is completely damaged, the chance of recovering is minimal. This also leads to other stomach, heart and kidney diseases,” said Dorji Tshewang, GDMO, Trashigang Hospital.

Apart from affecting the health, alcohol still is one of the main reasons behind most of the vehicle accidents.

Top Stories

Related Stories

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube