People with mental health illnesses still confronted with social stigmatization

For so long, experts and advocates have been trying to make people understand mental health illnesses. But to date, not many Bhutanese consider it as a problem. Social stigmatization still exists. Experts say, stigma prevents people from seeking help and becomes a stumbling block to treatment.

The disease does not discriminate. It happens to anyone.

Kuenga Lhaden, 37, once suffered from depression. She had to battle depression two years ago. And during that time, she chose to confront the stigma.

She said there were times when she felt empty, lost and wanted to give up.

Kuenga Lhaden said, “The common symptoms I faced while going through depression were feeling of not belonging anywhere, a hollowness inside, the feeling of being misunderstood and not being loved. One of the common symptoms of depression is losing interest in life.”

More so, she felt disconnected from society. She says she was treated differently from other patients, which was often dehumanizing.

She said, “While I was going through depression, I felt the social stigma as the society doesn’t accept depression as a normal disease. There are challenges such such as lack of support from family and friends. Not that they are not supportive but they just don’t understand the nature of the disease. The biggest challenge is not being understood by anyone.”

The healing process was long. Her determination and the decision to follow the spiritual path got her through depression besides medication.

“I was under medication for some time and then I took the spiritual path. That was the turning point of my life. Following the spiritual path helps us discover ourselves and knowing our nature of mind. It helped me a lot,” she added.

Now that she has won the battle against depression, Kuenga lives her life advocating on mental health illness. As she sits with a warm smile shimmering through her face, she now at least knows that peace exists within.

Kinzang Lhadon

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube