Wildlife menace makes farmers leave land fallow in Paro

Human-wildlife conflict still remains a major problem in the country. Despite various efforts, farmers across the country are still plagued by the challenge in protecting their crops from wild animals.

This has been discouraging many farmers and are giving up on farming.

At this time of the year, the paddy fields in Paro turn golden, indicating the nearing of the harvest season. It is the time farmers reap the benefits of their hard work.

But for Tshering Wangmo, 34, wild boars have put her efforts down the drain. She says almost ninety percent of her crops have been damaged by wild animals. It has been the same story every year, with the boars destroying almost everything in her fields.

Tshering Wangmo said, “We confront all the odds and do the job thinking that we could have sufficient rice for consumption. But with such a result, we can only be disappointed. I am deciding to leave the lands fallow now.”

Some farmers in Wochhu have already given up working in their land while some have sold if off. Tshering is also thinking of doing the same.

“I can’t sell the land also because I have children who will inherit it. But the situation is getting worse every year. Last year my neighbours left their land which borders my field fallow. And then some of the others neighbours were also saying that they are giving up cultivating paddy.” Tshering added.

She is now thinking of converting her fields into dryland if it is possible. She wants to find another means of living. She says anything seems better than toiling in the fields and at the end have all the crops get destroyed by wild animals.

Namgay Wangchuk, Paro

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube