Phuentshogling Thromde goes for experience and elects the former Thrompon

Phuentshogling Thromde residents went for experience and re-elected the former Thrompon, Uttar Kumar Rai. With 336 votes, the 39-year-old won against his three other opponents.  

The residents said they did not want to lose an experienced person. And his win will give him the motivation to continue and carry out the ongoing developmental works.

“Uttar Kumar Rai didn’t get to use his tenure properly and completely. The coronavirus pandemic hindered his plans. The first year went by in learning the systems of the Thromde office. So, he just had three years in hand. We elected him with a hope that he will fulfil all the pending works,” said Hem Kumar Pradhan, a resident of Pekarzhing, Phuentshogling.

“People elected the former Thrompon over other candidates because he is the native of Phuentshogling. Another reason is that people didn’t want to lose an experienced person. With his experience as a former Thrompon, we are hopeful that he would immediately resume his work and complete the leftover works,” added Bimal Kumar Ghalley, another resident.

In the 2016 election, he was the lone candidate and won the seat by nine YES votes. He was selected from Neydrag constituency during the Dhamngoi Zomdu earlier in March this year to recontest for the post of Thrompon. He won by a single vote against Tashi Wangchuk. To add to this hair-raising competition, the race for the Thrompon’s seat was even made harder this time with three other opponents.

According to Uttar Kumar Rai, his experience of serving in the first term added an advantage to win the election.

“Since I have five years of experience as a Thrompon, I am well aware of people’s problems as well as opportunities.  This time, I am ready to resume my responsibility without having to waste my time familiarizing the system. I can immediately work on my ongoing projects. I feel people elected me with similar hopes,” said Uttar Kumar Rai.

Construction of direct access road from Rinchending to Pekarzhing, widening the four-lane road from Royal Bhutan Army junction to Rinchending, Omchhu riverfront development and construction of theme parks are some of his dream projects.

Meanwhile, he immediately plans to work on land pooling issues, water flagship projects, drainage and footpaths in the town among others. He wishes to make Phuentshogling a clean, green and prosperous city.

Sonam Penjor, Phuentshogling

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube