Gelegphu Thromde goes for a change and elects a new Thrompon

Going for a change this time, the voters of Gelegphu Thromde voted Tshering Norbu over the former Thrompon, Tikaram Khafley. Tshering Norbu secured 713 votes and won by 338 votes over his opponent who secured only 375 votes. The Gelegphu residents voted Tshering Norbu for his pledges and new ideas to provide better services. 

The newly elected Thompon pledged to resolve the green belt issue of the thromde that had deprived residents living in those places of equal access to basic facilities such as roads, street lights and drainage system.

The green belt is a specially designated area of countryside protected from most forms of development. It is protected to help stop urban sprawl, preserve the character of existing settlements and encourage development within existing built-up areas.

The new Thrompon elect also promised to digitize Thromde services.

“We voted for him because we want changes and development. It is not like the previous Thrompon did not do anything, but this time we voted for a new face with new ideas,” said Hem Prasad, a resident of the thromde.

“I think people of Gelegphu Thromde voted for Tshering Norbu because he is young and knowledgeable. Moreover, he is an IT graduate and can bring changes through technology,” added Bishnulal Sunal, another resident.

Meanwhile, for the newly elect Thrompon, this isn’t the first time he contested in the Thromde election. He contested in the last two elections and lost both times. But he said it’s his persistence to win one day that kept him going. And now that he has won, he said he won’t let the voters down because with power comes responsibilities.

“I am thankful to the people for their support. It’s an opportunity and a blessing to contest in the election and serve my people. And that’s why I contested for the third time. I never lost hope when I didn’t win in the past two elections. It in fact encouraged me to go and talk with the people and listen to their concerns because of which I won this time,” said Tshering Norbu, the Thrompon elect.

Tshering Norbru re-settled in Gelegphu some two decades ago. He is originally from Khaling, Trashigang and has served as an IT officer in Zhemgang and in various other capacities in private companies. He has a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science from Sherubtse College.

Karma Wangdi, Gelegphu

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube