Home stay owner in Haa finds poultry farm business lucrative amid the pandemic

Amid closed borders and cancelled flights, travel came to a standstill. And this affected those who make a living from the tourism sector especially people owning farmhouses and farm stays. But for Kinley Wangchuk who owns a homestay in Haa, venturing into the poultry farm business has provided him with a ray of hope. 

44-year-old Kinley Wangchuck, a father of three from Doomchhog in Uesu Gewog depended on guests for income. But the pandemic came as a blow and other homestay owners. Undeterred by the situation, Kinley started his poultry farm business.

“Earlier when we had guests, we made around Nu 20,000 a month as profit. The amount was enough to run our house expenses. But with no guests, our source of income is totally cut off. So we resorted to farming and livestock for sustenance,” said Kinley.

Kinley took a loan of Nu 500,000 from the National CSI Development Bank to start his poultry business. And today, he has some 500 birds. He sells eggs for over Nu 2000 per carton box.

“After the first case of COVID-19 which restricted travels, our source of income was totally cut off. We were worried about paying the school fees. Upon inquiring with the dzongkhag, we learned about CSI loans to enhance poultry and livestock rearing. Then I applied for a loan and started the poultry farm. I am able to pay my loan on time and meet the expenses. After paying for their feeds and other bills I am able to collect over 9000 in a month as profit.” added Kinley.

Today, Kinley is able to harness a decent profit from the poultry venture and hopes for things to return to normal soon.

Haa dzongkhag is synonymous with homestays with around 20 registered in the dzongkhag. It has been a lucrative source of income for the people there for many years.

Namgay Wangchuk, Haa

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube