‘Million Trees Initiative’ to revive fallow land and generate income for farmers

There are many farmlands left fallow across the country due to various reasons. Fallow land means no income for the farmers. Hence, to help farmers earn some income and conserve the environment, the Bhutan Ecological Society (BES) started the ‘Million Trees Initiative’ today. Over a million trees including fruit trees and valuable wood will be planted in the next five years under the initiative.

The BES distributed the fruit tree saplings to farmers of Kabesa in Thimphu. Similarly, it was also distributed in Trongsa, Zhemgang and Tsirang.

“Our main idea is to provide communities with alternative livelihood so that they are doing something that will at least earn them some money. All of that activities will also contribute to our environment,” said Pem Lama, the Director of Bhutan Ecological Society.

In the next five years, BES with support from the Bhutan Foundation plans to distribute over a million commercially valuable trees.

The tree saplings will also be given to the farmers based on ecological zones and their adaptation. BES is optimistic about the initiative.

“Farmers and youth here are interested and willing to plant the saplings whenever they get saplings from the Bhutan Ecological Society,” said Nima Tshering, the representative of Tsirang’s Bhutan Ecological Society.

“I am very happy today as I got the tree saplings from Her Royal Highness Princess Chimi Yangzom Wangchuck. I will take care of trees,” said Namgay, a farmer from Kawang Gewog in Thimphu.

“We are interested in growing fruit trees because it helps our environment. And secondly, we get to eat fruits that will keep our body healthy,” said Sunil Subba, a farmer from Tsholingkhar Gewog in Tsirang.

The initiative is expected to contribute towards carbon sequestration and mitigate climate change.

Tshering Dendup/Pema Tshewang

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube