Areca nut, a source of income for villagers of Tenzinwama, Pema Gatshel

Areca nut is gradually becoming the main cash crop for some villages in Norboogang Gewog in Pema Gatshel. Tenzinwama village is one of the villages growing areca nut since the 90s.  Villagers said growing areca nut trees is more profitable compared to growing other crops. 

According to the villagers of Tenzinwama, nurturing areca nut trees is easier compared to other crops.

Residents earn a minimum of Nu 20,000 from each harvest. They sell the nut at Nu 35 to 40 per kilogram.

“It’s profitable. The areca nut is not like oranges. It bears fruit twice a year,” said Tashi Wangmo, a villager.

“In the past, our parents chewed the imported betel nuts thinking that it cannot grow in our place. However, we tried and it was successful,” said Tshering Wangda, another villager.

He added that “it has been four years now since I started earning Nu 12,000 in the first year. Last year, we could sell down due to the border closure but I earned around Nu 30,000.”

Villagers faced some market issue due to the closure of border gates last year. But during other times, they say selling nuts was never a problem. They added that there was no drop in the price as well.

Owing to the advantages, villagers raise saplings to increase the number of areca nut trees.

“I am planting the areca nut trees. I am not interested in nurturing orange trees and cardamom. Cardamom doesn’t give fruit for a long time and orange trees are dying these days,” said Tshering Wangda.

Every household has some 500 areca nut trees in the village. They harvested over 10 metric tons last season.

Thinley Dorji, Pema Gatshel

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube