First-ever commercial based large scale oyster mushroom cultivation in Gasa

Farmers in Khatoed Gewog in Gasa will be cultivating oyster mushroom from next month. This is to earn additional income besides the shiitake mushroom cultivation. Until now, farmers have been earning good income from the shiitake mushroom cultivation.  However, it takes longer duration for fruiting and requires more manpower.

About 20 households in the gewog are into shiitake mushroom cultivation. Farmers fetched around Nu 400 per kilogram. They began mushroom cultivation in 2009.

However, farmers are opting for better opportunities that require less manpower. Seven households have decided to cultivate oyster mushroom along with shiitake mushroom. They will be cultivating it as a pilot project.

According to the farmers, shiitake mushroom takes a long duration for fruiting and is a tedious task. Moreover, they said they require logs while carrying out shiitake mushroom cultivation which has an impact on the environment.

“I am worried that shiitake mushroom cultivation will impact the environment in long run. Moreover, cultivating shiitake mushroom is a tedious job. But the oyster mushroom works can be even done by women,” said Tashi from Khatoed Gewog.

“I am interested to start oyster mushroom cultivation. I am hopeful that I can earn good income from this work,” said Zangmo, another resident.

“Seven people from Khatoed Gewog wanted to cultivate oyster mushroom above 100 numbers. Therefore, we have decided to start this project from the first week of April,” said Tshewang Gyeltshen, Agriculture Extension Officer of Khatoed Gewog.

The Gewog Agriculture Extension Office in consultation with the Gewog Administration conducted several tests for cultivating straw mushroom. It was found that the mushroom can grow in their area as the mushroom can grow in areas that are about 2,600 meters above sea level.

The government will be providing the seeds and plastic bags free of cost during the initial time of the project.

Changa Dorji, Gasa

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube